33290 Statistics and Mathematics for Science6cp; 5hpw
Requisite(s): 33190 Mathematical Modelling for Science OR 33130 Mathematical Modelling 1
These requisites may not apply to students in certain courses. See access conditions.
Anti-requisite(s): 33230 Mathematical Modelling 2 AND 35101 Introduction to Linear Dynamical Systems AND 35102 Introduction to Analysis and Multivariable Calculus AND 35151 Introduction to Statistics AND 37131 Introduction to Linear Dynamical Systems AND 37132 Introduction to Mathematical Analysis and Modelling AND 37151 Introduction to Data Analysis
This subject consists of two components: Statistics and Mathematics:
- The Statistics component focuses on data analysis. It aims to show students how to collect and analyse data, and how to draw valid conclusions from the data. It begins with a discussion of how to sample from a population, and how to describe the data collected. This is followed by a discussion of how to form and test hypotheses about the population using the data collected from the sample.
- The Mathematics component covers studies of simultaneous linear equations and their occurrence in scientific problems; methods for solving these equations using matrices and determinants; eigenvalues and eigenvectors; vectors in two and three dimensions; products of vectors; spatial geometry and coordinate systems; functions of several variables; partial derivatives; optimisation and method of least squares. The computer algebra system Mathematica is used as an aid to computation, graph plotting and visualisation.
Spring session, City campus
This subject was formerly called Computing and Mathematics for Science.
Detailed subject description.
Information to assist with determining the applicable fee type can be found at Understanding fees.
- Commonwealth-supported students: view subject fees at Fees Search: Commonwealth-supported
- Postgraduate domestic fee-paying students: fees are charged according to the course enrolled in; refer to Domestic Fees Search: Postgraduate and Research
- International students: fees are charged according to the course enrolled in; refer to International Fees Search
- Subject EFTSL: 0.125