15604 Local Government Principles and Practice6cp; 21hpw x 2wks, block
Anti-requisite(s): 15605 Local Government Management Principles and Practice 2 AND 49460 Local Government Management Principles and Practice 1 AND 49461 Local Government Management Principles and Practice 2
This subject focuses on key concepts and theories about local government and its rationale, purpose and key challenges. Undertaking this subject/short course enables participants to:
- grasp key theoretical concepts for local government
- focus on the promises and difficulties that confront local government in the current era of rapid changes in Australia and internationally
- consider the consequences of changes and challenges for local governance
- apply the learning to their professional, management and leadership practice.
As a foundation subject for postgraduate local government studies, this subject explores issues of local democracy, community, service delivery and leadership, and their impacts on local governance. Students read, debate and extend their understandings of fiscal federalism, decentralisation, multi-level governance and intergovernmental relations. They focus on the promises and difficulties that currently confront local government. Active and collaborative learning approaches provide them with a greater appreciation of the values, knowledge and skills needed to address these professional challenges. Learners are encouraged throughout to reflect on the integration of theory with practice and, in so doing, the academic and research skills of students are enhanced.
Autumn session, City campus
Detailed subject description.
Information to assist with determining the applicable fee type can be found at Understanding fees.
- Commonwealth-supported students: view subject fees at Fees Search: Commonwealth-supported
- Postgraduate domestic fee-paying students: fees are charged according to the course enrolled in; refer to Domestic Fees Search: Postgraduate and Research
- International students: fees are charged according to the course enrolled in; refer to International Fees Search
- Subject EFTSL: 0.125