11204 Integrated Systems6cp
Requisite(s): 48 credit points of completed study in spk(s): STM90375 Core Subjects BAArch AND 11225 Thermal Design and Environmental Control AND 11232 Lighting, Acoustics and Advanced Environmental Control AND 11234c Architectural Design: Integration
The lower case 'c' after the subject code indicates that the subject is a corequisite. See definitions for details.
In this subject, students learn to integrate architectural ideas and technical systems in ways that enrich the architecture and lead to a healthier, higher-performing and more sustainable built environment. Students learn or review the fundamentals of:
- access, egress and vertical transportation (moving in, around and out of buildings)
- building envelopes (bringing light and air into buildings)
- heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems (making buildings thermally comfortable and healthy)
- lighting systems (making buildings visually comfortable)
- water systems
- fire and life safety systems (getting people safely out of buildings)
- performance benchmarking systems (evaluating how well buildings work).
The history of building services, explored in required reading and in a rigorous analysis of systems integration in an architectural masterwork, forms the theoretical foundation for the subject. Through required readings and lectures, students are given an overview of technical systems that serve buildings; the students explore and apply this knowledge through a design assignment in the latter half of the session. Multidisciplinary teamwork and design integration strategy are also discussed.
The subject runs in close connection with the third-year design studio. For the project in the second half of the session (Assessment 2), students design and integrate building services systems for their studio projects. Tutorial groups are paired across this subject and the design studio, with several project reviews conducted jointly with integrated services and architectural studio tutors.
Spring session, City campus
Detailed subject description.
Information to assist with determining the applicable fee type can be found at Understanding fees.
- Commonwealth-supported students: view subject fees at Fees Search: Commonwealth-supported
- Postgraduate domestic fee-paying students: fees are charged according to the course enrolled in; refer to Domestic Fees Search: Postgraduate and Research
- International students: fees are charged according to the course enrolled in; refer to International Fees Search
- Subject EFTSL: 0.125